The Water Agency Mouhoun aims to enhance the Hydrographic Basin as an appropriate framework for understanding, planning and water resource management by coordinating the actions related thereto and consultation in order to prepare and implement, in optimal rationality conditions, guidelines and decisions taken by the Government in the field of water.
The Water Agency Mouhoun which can not be client has the following missions:
- engage stakeholders in the water to the concerted management, integrated, balanced and sustainable development of water resources in the watershed
- translate, through master plans and water management (SDAGE) and land use planning and water management (SAGE), the orientations of the national water policy
- promote in the basin, rational use of water resources, the fight against pollution and protection of aquatic environments
- collect taxes from water users for they make withdrawals or pollution they generate, according to the “polluter pays” or “sampler pays”
- to provide financial support for various of common interest actions by Local Authorities, socio-professional organizations and users
- provide technical assistance for studies, works, monitoring and evaluation, implementation and all other action taken to fight against waste and pollution of water, according to the “one who protects better is assisted»
- to prepare, under the SDAGE and SAGE, multi-year programs of intervention to address water use needs, preservation and restoration of water quality, conservation of aquatic ecosystems, protection the banks and the fight against siltation of rivers and water bodies
- to contribute to the prevention and fight against floods and other natural disasters related to water
- to collect, develop and disseminate knowledge on water resources in order to contribute to the improvement of their management
- develop partnerships at the national and international levels with any body involved in its field of competence.